How To Self- Publish Within A Budget
Money is the first thing that comes to anyone’s mind when you say self-publishing.
There are 2 types of self-publishing:
- You go via a self-publishing house and pay to get your book published.
- You use freelancers.
Self-publishing either way involves money. If you want to self-publish your book without paying a cent, I’m sorry to tell you that it is impossible. I’m going to tell you how to self-publish your book within a budget.
The average cost of publishing a book after it receives developmental editing, copy editing, proofreading, cover design, and professional typesetting is roughly $4,000 -$6,000
Although the average cost varies with the genre, the final price also depends on the length of your manuscript and level of freelancers’ experience.
According to statistics online, the average cost of editing an 80,000-word manuscript is:
Developmental editing $1,920
Aims to improve the content and structure of a manuscript.
Copy editing $1,360
Also known as text editing is a word by word editing done for grammar, usage and consistency issues. Copy editors check for spelling, grammatical errors, typos, linguistic and syntactical errors along with punctuation such as commas, semicolons, and quotation marks.
The final cost depends on:
- The genre.
- The length of your manuscript.
- The amount of work needed for your manuscript.
The editor’s experience.
A book cover is important to your book as it’s the first thing people see before taking a second look. The job of a book cover is to stand out and attract people.
Graphic Designers take care of your book’s cover. A professionally designed book cover can cost you
A fresher — $300-$500
Experienced designer — $500-$800
(2+ years with significant publishers)
Veteran (10+ years with significant publishers)—- $800-$1,500
When it comes to cover design the main factors are:
- The style of design.
- The number of ‘iterations’ rounds the design requires.
You might have found the perfect Designer to do your book, but keep these 2 things in mind:
– If they’re working on other projects simultaneously, you will not be treated as a priority (you might not be able to meet them as much as they have other clients to attend to as well).
- Every time you want to change something on your cover because you are not satisfied, you will be charged.
If you opt for a print book, you’ll need to design to make the back cover and spine of your book which costs extra, obviously.
Also known as ‘typesetting’ and ‘book design,’ Book Formatting is the
process of preparing the text for reading. Readers will want to read your book only if your work looks good and maintains uniformity. Every page of a book is different, so don’t be surprised if it gets more expensive than book cover design.
Sure you can use templates and do it yourself, but you can also hire freelancers to do it for you,
According to statistics, 78% of self-published books cost under $1,000 to typeset.
The cost of Book Formatting depends on:
- Your book’s word count. Longer the book, more time it will take.
– Typesetter’s experience.
- The amount of pictures or anything. For example, a novel is easier to typeset than a textbook.
The cost of eBook Formatting ranges $150 – $300 depending on the number of formats and complexity.
If you choose to publish an ebook, you need to format your ebook to the seller’s guidelines like Amazon KDP, IngramSpark, Smashwords, Kobo, iBooks, and Google Play Books. If you don’t meet their requirements, you will not be able to sell your ebook on the platform.
Being a famous author is every writer’s dream. You have to begin with marketing your book. Marketing a book should be calculated in terms of effort and time rather than dollars.
Along with creating accounts on social media platforms, you also need to create an author website.
Not everyone is an expert in marketing to do it themselves. Various freelancers charge differently. The price ranges from $200 – $1,000
They charge according to:
- Social Media platform and
- Service (create a FB page, run an ad, etc.).
The price ranges from $200 – $1,000
Amazon is also widely used for marketing no 1 store for books in the world. Marketers can help you optimise keywords, and advertise on Amazon to
The cost for both varies on:
- The number of designs.
- Banners per social media platform and number of banners.
Some include basic advertising cost. $100 – $200
While some freelancers charge only for design, some include the cost of ads.
NOW that you know how much it costs to hire freelancers, I’m going to tell you how the pricing with a self-publishing company works. Before I get it, let me tell you how a bit about self-publishing companies for those of you who don’t know.
- Most self-publishing companies consist of various publishing plans ranging from $499 – $8,000 with many services included. When you decide to publish your book, a Project Manager will be appointed to you and will guide you.Till your book’s Post Publishing Support, you will the #1 priority.
- The publishing house will consist of professional editors, designers, typesetters, etc., with top-notch experience in their field. This way, every book is created by a team of professionals regardless of the book’s simplicity. They are not only trust worthy but also easily accessible. The main advantage of working with a publishing house is that you don’t have to work with multiple freelancers.
Many writers prefer to self-publish themselves without approaching freelancers and publishing houses. They spend money purchasing many tools thinking they can create the book themselves and end up not publishing at all.
If you’re still thinking about publishing it yourself, use The Opportunity Cost Calculator to make your decision.
Check out our newly launched MEGA BUNDLE a collection of A- Z publishing services to kickstart your publishing journey.