How Should Authors Prepare for a Book Launch
Once the authors complete their books, the next crucial step is the book launch. It is all the essential book promotional steps and activities an author needs to introduce the book to the world.
The guide is to make you understand and prepare for a book launch.
Essential Steps to Prepare for a Book Launch
You might have written a great book, and it needs to get the attention and readership it deserves. You’ve to put in the maximum efforts to launch your book, and for that, you need to take a few essential steps:
1. Create a Writer Platform
You need to build a solid platform and develop a plan for how your book marketing and promotional efforts will support your career growth as a writer is essential. Many writers feel that they already have a lot on their plate, but building a solid online presence and gathering an audience for your work is vital.
If you have written a book and want to publish it, your job as a writer is to make your book reach people who will benefit the most from it.
Take some time to develop your platform and organize your book launch instead of doing it in a hurry. At the same time, try not to take too much time coordinating and developing.
If you already have a platform ready before your book launch, you have a better chance of translating the momentum you gain from your launch into a profitable writing career.
It is vital to know what you write and why and find out how the “why” connects to your readers.
2. Develop your Author Brand
Writers are usually hesitant when it comes to “branding” themselves for their work but fail to understand its importance. It’s how people can relate to you. Let them know what to expect from you and your work. It conveys how you wish to be identified.
If done right, your author brand will naturally blend in with your message. If you build your brand the right way, you can do many things like :
- Strengthen your writing by giving it more depth and focus.
- Develop the tone, texture, and phrasing of your work and refine your voice.
- Control how you and your work are perceived but not entirely.
- Make it easy for readers to identify your book anywhere.
- Attract potential readers with your brand.
- Create, change, start something, or lead by example.
Branding is more inclined towards serving readers. It also increases the exposure of you and your book.
Here are some essential points to consider while developing your brand:
- Narrate a story for your author brand.
- How do you want readers to feel, and what experience do you want to create for them?
- How do you want people to see you? What words/ideas do you want them to connect with you?
- Who do you want to reach through your writing? (Remember that you can’t be everything to everyone. Limiting your options helps your book reach higher levels).
- Define the aim and tone of your blog posts and updates on social media. What mediums (videos, written posts, podcasts, etc.) will convey your message and “why”?
- Decide on color, imagery, and font for your brand. (Remember to make a choice depending on the genre of your writing and your writing style).
Creating a successful author brand from scratch takes time and perseverance. The hard work put in the first time will make an impact on your future book launches.
3. Find your Target Audience
Now that you can identify and convey the “why” behind your work, it’s a hundred times easier to identify the group of people who will be most responsive to your message.
Let me paint the picture for you. You’ve just published your new thriller murder mystery, and you’ve never been happier. You settle for blasting its release on every social media platform that will have you. Just because you want everyone to read your book, you say it’s for EVERYONE!
Take time to determine the readers who will benefit most from your book. How can you know if your book is suitable for someone without knowing them?
The aspects to consider to find your reading audience:
- Learn everything you can about your future readers.
- What authors and genres do they read and enjoy?
- How do they connect to the stories?
- What topics are they interested in?
- Who do they consider a resource for their next read, new releases, genre-specific news, etc.?
- Where, how, and in what format do they purchase what do they read?
- Who does your work help & who will it entertain?
Don’t try to win those who are not inclined towards your genre of work. Uncover the potential group of readers who already speak your language.
4. Make the Best Use of Technology
Technology is more helpful to us than anything else. You can publish anything online and have an influence, depending on how effective it is.
With the help of technology, writers can do many things to improve and organize their writing. It has become highly beneficial for writers since the following can be done effectively:
- Design the author website or start a blog with an engaging content- marketing strategy.
- Grow the list of email subscribers and social media followers.
- Price the books appropriately, design a professional stunning book cover, and ensure the book is edited and error-free.
- Have book giveaways. Be active. Attend tours, book signings, and host/ teach workshops, etc.
If your plan is implemented correctly with the right tools like social media, blog, email, you can boost your message and extend your reach.Your main goal is to build a genuine connection with your readers. If you accomplish that, the rest will follow.
Don’t be in a rush to launch your book. Take time to plan your book launch and achieve the desired result.