How to Format Images for an eBook
eBooks with images, diagrams, and graphs are preferred by a wide section of readers and publishers. Handling images in eBooks can be tricky while formatting an eBook. You’ve to think of a lot of aspects as far as images are concerned.
Handling Images in eBooks
You have to think about the format of the file, the size of the images, etc. before you add images to the document. Here are a few important aspects to understand the process better:
Images are saved in multiple formats. For eBooks, the acceptable formats include JPG and PNG (portable network graphics).
JPG is best suitable for photographs as it supports a large range of colors, and PNG is suitable for line drawings and for images that have a large portion of uniform color. Depending upon the type of images for your eBook, and the platform selected to publish, decide on the best suitable format.
Size of the Image
The right size of the image for an eBook depends on the type and the target screen size. Try avoiding billboard-size images for your eBook. If the images are in the same dimensions, it would be perfect while reading an eBook.
Tips for Formatting Images
It is often said, a picture says a thousand words. So, it goes without saying that a good formatted picture in an eBook would add wonders to the reading experience. Here a few steps to understand and follow before you add and format images for your eBook.
- Avoid wrapping text around images.
- In printed books, the use of color can be problematic. It is indeed expensive to print the book in color. While in eBooks, it is not an issue at all. Many eReaders and apps run on desktops, tablets, smartphones,and the display is in RGB (red, blue & green).
- It is important to note that all the images you add to your eBook should be in RGB, and not CMYK.
- Images should be captured with 300 resolution in RGB mode for better results.
- Remember that no images in the eBook should be more than 4 megapixels.
Formatting images is vital in creating a professional eBook. Images are an important aspect of an eBook. Pay extra attention and make the most of the visual side of your eBook.
Related Blogs you Might be Interested in